Planning Applications

A planning application is required for most new building or changes to existing buildings. The planning system is designed to control the construction of buildings and use of land. It is governed at local level by local planning authority. They will assess the proposals and make a decision on whether to grant or refuse permission.

The planning process can often be frustrating for clients, which is why it is important to employ a suitably experienced consultant to deal with the planning department on your behalf.

We can advise if a planning application is required for your building project. Where applicable we will prepare drawings, complete planning application forms and submit these to the local authority on your behalf. Drawing information at this stage includes general floor plans and elevations to illustrate the design and size of the building project.

Householder Planning Consent

This is the most common application where a single dwelling is to be enlarged. This includes extensions, conservatories, loft conversions, dormer windows, garages, car ports and outbuildings. However, there is an amount of building work that can be done without Planning Permission if it falls within the rules of Permitted Development.

Permitted Development

The Planning Portal website offers useful illustrative guides on what can be done under permitted development, although for buildings that have had previous extensions and alterations the rules can be quite complicated. We can offer guidance on whether your building project falls within with Permitted Development.

Lawful Development Certificate

In the case where your Building Project complies with Permitted Development you may choose to apply for formal confirmation from the planning authority with what is known as a Lawful Development Certificate. This is a legally binding document and particularly useful when coming to sell the property.

Further Information

The planning portal contains useful information regarding planning applications. This can be found at the following link:
Building Regulations
Get In Touch